Monday, December 15, 2008

happy birthday

Birthdays... What is a birthday? Well, technically it is merely a day where we celebrate the anniversary of a person's birth. Or... is it? So why the major celebration? What's with the cake and presents and all? Why do one gets so upset when his / her birthday is forgotten? Why do they feel more insignificant when a friend of theirs forget their birthday?

Birthdays... Is a birthday celebration really that important? Is it necessary to actually go through all the hassle to find 'The Ultimate Birthday Gift' so that we will not upset that birthday girl / boy?

Some people would even go to the extreme to even celebrate their pet's birthday! Would they even understand and / or appreciate it? *Put a chocolate cake in front of a pet dog, and the next thing u know he's in the vet cause dogs cant eat chocolate.* Anyways, I'm not making a fuss about the dog or the cake... My main point is, animals dont even know what's going on and people go about making a huge declaration "My little Kitty here will be turning 4 years old this year! I'm so excited! I'm gonna get her a new pretty baby blue ribbon with a little bell attached to it to celebrate it!" Gosh... sounds pretty senseless and waste of effort to me.

Back to humans... Birthday parties and stuff... Birthday gifts... what do they signify? I have no idea... and the birthday cake... What is it really for? So that we can stick the number of candles according to the age of the birthday girl / boy into the cake? I sometimes dont really see the purpose of the whole celebration thing. I admit that I personally made a big fuss when I was younger about what I want for my birthday, that i will decide what to do for the day and the birthday cake is a MUST have to the extend I'll get extremely upset when i dont get 'The Special Treatment' during MY i repeat... MY SPECIAL DAY. But now.. I suppose things have changed for me.

So... what is a birthday now? A celebration of one's birth? To be thankful that we are given the opportunity to exist in this world, that we are given the chance to see the world and experience the ups and downs in life? The day where we look forward to spend more 'quality time' with loved ones and to use this opportunity to form stronger bonds with them?

Or is it a celebration that has lost its value in it, where people only wonder what their friends and family are going to get for them as a present for that year? And not to mention what cake size and cake flavour they will be having and which exclusive restaurant they will go to this year? And also how many messages or wishes they will receive from their so-called-'friends' who have never since contacted them 365/366 days ago?



So what does birthday means to me? Well, its not easy for me to answer that as well. Probably its a day where i can get to steal some time from my family, and probably catch up with my good friends and see what they're up to. And I meant ReAl TRuE friends, not the ones that has never utter a word to me until its my birthday to wish me "happy birthday" just for the sake of it. And I can bet that 99% is because there's some sort of birthday reminder at the side bar of their facebook/ friendster to remind them about it. Else they probably dont even know I even existed here.

So what can I say? I dony know either...

Happy birthday to me!

Happy Birthday dear Shu Lin. May my following years be a smooth sailing and a happy one.

No comments: